Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Austin Art


This past weekend we went to Austin with our good friends Phil and Emily. Emily and I became close through the deployment and Phil and Don were stick-buddy's from Fort Rucker and then deployed together with the same unit, and then came back from Iraq on the same day. A coincidence.


While cruising the city we found an art show going on - the Austin Art Festival.  Emily and I checked it out while Phil and Don got tattoos.





This is probably my favorite artist that we found out of the hundred or so there. Jeannie Maddox
This photo is a close up that I took of one of her pool/water pictures. I love her 'paint by numbers' technique to achieve what she calls 'photorealism' - her painting are so big that standing back it looks like a real photo. 



The other artist that I loved was Mickie Bellah.
She uses a technique with thinned oils to create the movement and feeling she wants to achieve. My favorite thing she does is a visual representation of the zodiac signs.


Etta = Gemini
Many pastel colors grace the canvas for the Twins of Gemini. Words to best describe this sign are inquisitive, quick, bouncy, clever, disinclined to be serious! There’s a tad of seriousness in the images in the painting, even though it shows a playful attitude. Gemini is a Mutable Air sign.


Donovan = Taurus
Taurus’ color is green and since it is a Fixed Earth sign, earth tones. There is a lot of Earth energy in this painting. Impressions of this sign are stubborn, determined, practical and realistic, persistent, loves plants, tends to habits. Taurus is ruled by Venus and affects the neck and throat.

I think it is funny to see as I don't think I am much like my painting, but Don's actually looks like the color of his eyes. She also does customizable paintings where she will paint your astrology birth charts. You send her all your information and she is directed by 'Spirit Guides' which is kinda cooky but I still think it sounds fun to see what you may look like in paint form. 

So... if anyone is in need of a gift idea :)

No comments: